After testing Electra on the new Visio 2013, we are happy to report that Electra works extremely well with one single major caveat. Files that are saved in Visio 2013 will lose all functionalities, irrespective of whether if you save them into Visio 2013's new macro enabled xml format (.vsdm) or the older (.vsd) format. This is because Visio 2013 has a bug (confirmed by our correspondence with Microsoft), that causes all password protected macro documents to be unable to save properly without losing all macros (non password protected macros are not affected). So, in effect, this affects all add-ins, not only Electra.
As usual with Microsoft, we have no idea when this will be fixed, but we are not going to hold our breath until then. We felt that we owe our customers more speed and transparency, and have taken a few active steps, so that you can proceed with using Visio 2013, but with caution. Therefore, if you insist on using Visio 2013, here is what you have to do to ensure your files are saved properly without losing Electra functionalities:How to use older drawings in Visio 2013.
All older drawings made using Electra will have their macros password protected. To save properly, you will need to use the following steps:
- Open your older drawing in Visio 2013.
- Press F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.
- Click on “View” and select “Project Explorer” as shown below:
- On the “Project” panel, double click on “Electra_Template” as shown below:
- You will be asked for a password, and if you don’t have one, please do email us at [email protected] and we will be glad to supply you with a password.
- Right click on the “Electra_Template” and select “Electra_Template Properties” as shown below:
- Click on the “Protection” tab:
- Uncheck “Lock Project for Viewing”, delete password for “Password” and “Confirm password”:
- Click “OK” and close the Visual Basic Editor then save your drawing.
Essentially, you will have to unprotect your older drawing for it to save properly without losing Electra functionalities.How to start a new drawing in Electra.
If you have not done so, please go to our Support page and download the latest Electra update (R219). After installing this update, the “New Electra Drawing.vst” template will be essentially non protected, and all files created using this template will not have problems saving in Visio 2013.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and will keep all of our customers updated on this issue as soon as we get some news.